The Nigerian Army troops have recaptured Marte town in Borno state from Boko Haram fighters, spokesman Mohammed Yerima told Peoples Gazette Tuesday evening.
The victory comes after a 48-hour ultimatum given to the troops by the army chief Attahiru Ibrahim.
Mr. Ibrahim, a major-general, had on Sunday given the frontline soldiers an ultimatum to recapture Marte town and other adjoining villages under the control of the terrorists.
The villages under the terrorists control were; Kirenowa, Kirta, Wulgo and Ngala Local Government Area of the state.
The troops reclaimed the territories of Marte after a fierce gunbattle Tuesday afternoon from the insurgents who took over the town last week, PR Nigeria reported.
It was gathered that troops of “Operation Lafiya Dole” killed several Boko Haram terrorists during the gunfight that ensued.
The report also noted that the troops detonated several Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) planted by the terrorists along the routes leading to the town.
“Nigerian Troops have successfully charged through Marte, killing scores of ISWAP/ Boko Haram Terrorists who laid siege in that area for some days.” the report stated.
The report cited a source that the military took over the general area of the town after troops successfully detonated a series of IEDs planted along the route.
“New Marte effectively in our hands since 3pm. Our will and determination are unshaken. We are ever determined not to let our service chiefs and the nation down,” the source was quoted to have said.
Mr. Yerima however separately confirmed the incident to the Gazette by phone Tuesday evening.
The army spokesman, a brigadier-general, said the troops were able to recapture the town from the jihadist sect this afternoon.
“Yes, it’s true, the troops reclaimed the town so far, no casualty recorded from our troops after the gun battle.” he said.
Boko Haram fighters have seized many territories from the military over the years leading to the deaths of dozens of frontline soldiers. Military authorities often claim victories but deny fatalities in duels.
The onslaught of insurgency in the North-East has ravaged most communities across the region as terrorist activities rendered most residents living in the affected communities displaced from their livelihood.